Donnerstag, 7. September 2017

Hittite ḫumant- and Vedic ubhau

I put a paper up for discussion on academia.edu.
Abstract:
A connection between Hittite ḫumant- “all, each, entire” and Vedic ubhau “both” was proposed by Puhvel in his Hittite Etymological Dictionary. He analyses ḫumant- as ḫu- + suffix -want- (PIE -went-). For the first element, he assumes an original meaning “both” and for the lexeme a development “both-having” > “all-having” > “all”.
This paper argues that there is indeed a common element *h2u- in both words, but that it's original meaning was "all".
Readers are cordially invited to join over there or to comment here.

4 Kommentare:

David Marjanović hat gesagt…

I'm most likely not qualified to comment on the manuscript, but wanted to read it. The only way to do that seems to be to submit a request to join the discussion... so that's what I've done, though I never actually meant to have an academia.edu account in the first place.

Hans hat gesagt…

Hi David,
Thank you for joining the discussion! I hope I didn't make you do anything you'll regret later! ;-)

Hans hat gesagt…

I have now posted a revised version of my paper taking into account Eugen Hill's article and comments. Unfortunately, it is not possible to upload a revised paper to an existing session, so I put the revised paper up here .

Unknown hat gesagt…
Der Kommentar wurde von einem Blog-Administrator entfernt.